There’s a lot involved in being a good karaoke DJ, KJ (Karaoke Jock) or karaoke host. You have a big responsibility to both the venue owner, whether it’s a bar, club or special event, and to the guests. You’re in charge of making sure that everyone both has a great time, and to keep things organised and run a smooth operation. So how can you be a good karaoke DJ?
- Choose the best karaoke setup and equipment
- Have a good system for song selection
- Be encouraging
- Keep it entertaining and fun
- Maintain your professionalism
Choose the Best Karaoke Setup
Good Sound Quality
Easy to Setup
- Having extra microphones so more people can get involved. Two microphones is the bare minimum, but up to four would be handy.
- Make sure you can fully adjust the microphone volume without having to hold the microphone so you have full control.
- Some karaoke machines have additional features such as echo, reverb and auto tune which can be great if you want to take your karaoke event to the next level.
Good System for Song Selection
Keep the Breaks Entertaining
- Keep your language tasteful when making any announcements.
- Dress to impress and make sure you stick to the venues dress code.
- Make sure you’re always on time and setup well before you’re due to perform.
- Make an effort with the bar staff to be polite and friendly.
- Don’t get carried away with the drinks. Some venues offer free drinks to the karaoke DJ, but try to refrain until you’re off duty.