Making use of your Xbox by singing karaoke, is a great way to add some more fun to a house party. In this article, I’ll go through 3 super easy methods to do karaoke on an Xbox X-Series, Xbox S-Series and Xbox One.
The Quick Answer
The best way to do karaoke using an Xbox is to use either a karaoke game, or YouTube. The “Let’s Sing” karaoke games include high-quality tracks and allow you to use your phone as a microphone. YouTube offers a free alternative however, you will need an external microphone with USB connection to play.
There are three main methods you can use to do karaoke on an Xbox:
- Downloadable or disk games e.g. Let’s Sing
- Downloadable apps e.g. Karaoke One
Now let’s have a look at each method, and how to set them all up.
1. Let’s Sing Games
One of the best ways to do karaoke on an Xbox, is to use on of the Let’s Sing games. You can either download them directly onto your Xbox S/X- Series or Xbox One from the Microsoft Store, or purchase the disks. Here are some key features of the game series:
- Around 30 songs on each games
- Sing solo or with up to 8 players
- Includes mini games and challenges
- Scores your performances and includes an online leader board to compare your scores with players from around the world
- More songs available using an online pack
- You can use your smart phone as a microphone if you do not have a separate microphone
What Else You’ll Need:
- A smart phone or external microphone
You can either connect your Xbox and microphone using a USB connection, or connect your microphone to your speakers or TV directly using either a wired connection or Bluetooth. Unfortunately, the Xbox X/S-series and Xbox One consoles do not allow you to connect a microphone via Bluetooth.
If you’re using an external microphone, take a look at my article to learn how to connect a microphone to any smart device.
- High-quality audio and video
- Games and scoring function
- Limited number of songs
- Expensive option
Using YouTube on an Xbox for karaoke is one of the easiest, cheapest and fastest ways to play. You get access to thousands of high-quality songs for free, without having to purchase any additional software or make any downloads.
What You’ll Need:
- Microphone (check out this very affordable karaoke microphone designed for Xbox on Amazon)
Here’s how to use YouTube for karaoke with an Xbox:
- Connect your microphone to your Xbox using a USB connection. Alternatively, connect the microphone to your TV using Bluetooth or an RCA connection.
- Load the YouTube app on your Xbox.
- Search for a song.
It’s very simple to operate, and the best part is that it is free to do. The only real drawback, is that most YouTube videos have ads at the start, which can be a bit annoying in the middle of a party! However, when you consider the amount of tracks available, I think using YouTube for karaoke is a better option for parties than the Let’s Sing games and the Karaoke One app.
- Huge library of songs available
- Free and quick to set up
- No games or scoring function
3. Karaoke One
“Karaoke One” is a downloadable app that works with both Xbox X/S Series and Xbox One consoles. It can be downloaded straight to your console in a matter of minutes and even allows you to share a recording of your performance online in the Karaoke One social network if you’d like to.
Here are some quick features and important info:
- Free-download but offers in-app purchases
- Premium version costs $3.49 per month
- Download size is approximately 62.26 MB
As with YouTube, you will also need an external microphone to play, like this very affordable karaoke microphone designed for Xbox here on Amazon which has a USB connection suitable for both Xbox S/X-series and Xbox One consoles. Unfortunately, the Xbox X/S-series and Xbox One consoles do not allow you to connect a microphone via Bluetooth, so a USB connection if your best bet.
- Option to share recordings
- Cheaper up-front than Let’s Sing
- More expensive than YouTube
Here are some more articles you might find helpful: