It’s actually really simple to use Spotify for karaoke. There are plenty of instrumental tracks available for you to choose from and you won’t need loads of equipment. Here are the main steps for setting up karaoke using Spotify.
How to Set Up Karaoke with Spotify
- Set up the Spotify and MusixMatch apps on your laptop or PC
- Connect your laptop or PC to your mixer/karaoke machine
- Connect your laptop or PC to a TV screen (optional)
What You'll Need
Getting started playing karaoke on Spotify is super easy, but you’ll need some equipment to get you started.
- Laptop or PC
- The Spotify app on desktop
- Speakers (built-in your laptop, or external speakers)
- Karaoke Machine or Mixer
- The MusixMatch app
Step 1: Set Up MusixMatch and Spotify
This is an app that you can get that will allow you to view the lyrics of the song on your screen so you can sing along. It’s compatible with Spotify so you can connect the two apps together. Here’s how you use it.
- Head over to the MusixMatch website and click create account and go through the steps.
- Once you’ve created the account, go back onto the MusixMatch and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “apps” (it’s under products at the footer of the website).
- Download the app to your desktop.
- Once it’s downloaded, go through the steps to set up the app on your desktop.
- Once you’re signed in, you’ll be prompted to connect to Spotify. Go through these steps and you’re all setup!
- Then, when you want to play a song and see the lyrics, have both the Spotify app and MusixMatch app on your desktop.
- Press play on a song on Spotify and then have MusixMatch open on your screen and you’ll see the lyrics synchronised to the music.
Step 2: Connect your Setup
But if you don’t have a karaoke machine, then you’ll need a mixer to combine the sound of both your microphone and instrumental source. The mixer will then be connected to a speaker to play the sound. If you want to learn more, then head over to our complete guide to mixers.
If you don’t want to use a karaoke machine, and you don’t have a mixer, then check out our guide on how to connect a microphone to any device to learn how to connect your PC or laptop.
Using a Karaoke Machine
Your karaoke machine should be pretty easy to setup with the instructions it came with. All you’ll usually need to do, is connect the microphones to your machine (using either bluetooth or the connection cable included) and then connect your karaoke machine to your PC or laptop. Usually there are two ways you can connect a laptop or PC to a karaoke machine.
- Using bluetooth: simply make your karaoke machine discoverable by turning the bluetooth on, and then go into your laptop or PC settings and search for a bluetooth device and press pair.
- Use an AUX lead to connect your karaoke machine and laptop.
Without a karaoke machine
- Connect your microphone to the mixer. Most wired microphones use XLR cables or USB connections. Or connect them using bluetooth.
- Connect your speaker to the mixer. This again is usually wireless or requires XLR cables.
- The connect the mixer to your laptop or PC. This can be using a bluetooth or If it’s wired, then usually using an RCA or USB connection.
Step 3: Connect your Laptop/ PC to your TV (optional)
If your laptop or PC screen isn’t large enough to see the lyrics properly, then you can connect it to your TV. The easiest way to do this is by using a HDMI cable. This allows you to mirror your laptop/ PC screen onto a TV screen.
This is comprised of three cables attached together that connect to the back or side of your TV.
Used to connect a karaoke machine to a TV. The yellow cable is for composite video, the red for the right audio channel, and the white or black for the left channel of stereo audio
This is comprised of three cables attached together that connect to the back or side of your TV. The yellow cable is for composite video, the red for the right audio channel, and the white or black for the left channel of stereo audio
Okay so now you should have everything ready to setup karaoke using Spotify. Here are the steps to summarise.
- Connect your laptop or PC to your karaoke setup.
- Open Spotify and MusixMatch apps on your desktop.
- Press play on a Spotify instrumental track.
- Have on the MusixMatch app on your screen.
- Sing along to the lyrics!
So there you go! That’s how to setup karaoke using Spotify. Thanks for reading. Here are some other posts that you might find useful: